Sunday 6 September 2015

The day I met Chris Froome and Martin Johnson

The two sports I take part in regularly are Rugby and Cycling.  From a practical point of view these two activities are an ideal match, for me cycling is a summer sport with Rugby filling in during the winter months.

Preparations for LeJog has provided me with a Rugby vs. Cycling crossroads in my life.  This being the case I though it would be a good idea to seek advice from two legends of those sports.  A couple of 'phone calls were made and I soon found myself at a top secret meeting with former England Rugby captain and World Cup Winner Martin Johnson and two times Tour de France winner Chris Froome.

As the following picture shows I am really not built for cycling, I am physically much closer to Johnson's 6'6" size and build than I am to that of the super skinny Froome.  However Rugby skills were not going to help me conquer LeJog.


I was able to have a few words with each champion to try and get some advice for the ride ahead.  Froome spent about six seconds sizing me up and gave me the following wise words:

 "All things considered you should stick to Rugby."

This was not encouraging so I hoped Johnson would be more positive, sadly this was not the case and he had the following advice:

"stick to Cycling."

So all in all not the most constructive meeting I have ever attended but it was a pleasure to meet two sporting giants.

Tomorrow will be my last day at work before leaving for Cornwall, today my bike is off for a last minute service before joining me at the office tomorrow ready for collection on Tuesday morning.

For regular updates follow me on Twitter.

Twitter: @BigBensBike

To make a donation to Prostate Cancer Research and read a bit about why I chose that charity see my page at:

Just Giving: www.justgiving.com/bigbensbike/











No comments:

Post a Comment