Sunday 13 September 2015

Day Five - A star studded occasion

Day Five - Bamber Bridge to Carlisle - 100 miles +4345 ft / -4395 ft 
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2288087

One of the pleasures of this trip is that I am getting to see parts of the country that I have not previously visited and learn a little more about my homeland every day.  Today I learned that Bamber Bridge was named in honour of Nash Bridges the 1996 TV series starring Don Johnson and Cheech out of Cheech and Chong.  Apparently the first episode had the highest ratings for a non-primetime US detective show the town has ever seen, such was the mania for the programme the town was immediately re-named.  Prior to this the town was simply known as Bamber, itself a tribute to the former University Challenge host Bamber Gasgoine.

Whereas today's final destination of Carlisle was re-named following the success of the film Trainspotting and the townfolk's passion for the character of Francis Begbie.......

A mere 100 miles today so a bit of a rest compared to the long slog of yesterday.  The ride started out flat and with a decent tailwind.  We made very good progress stopping for pop / cakes at about 30 miles in.  Following the coffee stop things got a bit more serious, most of the days climbing was compressed into a section between 30 miles and 65 miles.  We mostly avoided main roads today so had a bit more time to look at the views thanks to a bit less time needed to second guess mad motorists.



We also had a few decent milestones today, specifically we passed the half way point between Le and JoG just after lunch and half of the climbing at some other point.  Should be easy from now on.

Scenery aside the best thing that happened to me today was during our lunch stop (at a pub called the Cross Keys, surely an omen) I was lucky enough to spot some white dog's mess, a rare thing indeed these days.  I have include a small picture and a bigger one showing the Cambodian peloton.


Post lunch we were faced by a fairly notorious climb which took us 1200ft above sea level, this would have been much easier if I hadn't eaten a massive cheeseburger accompanied by a Glasgow salad (chips).  As it was it was a bit of a struggle.  Clare and Brendan made it to the top in fine form:



Following the climb it was more or less down hill for the remaining 40 miles which was most welcome as I could stand up for much of it and take some weight off my aching gooch.  Today I identified another way in which you know you are on a long cycle ride on greeting your team mates it is socially acceptable to ask after the state of their undercarriage, I don't normally find this to be the case either at work or socially.

Speaking of socially time for a beer I think.  More LeJog blog tomorrow.






For regular updates follow me on Twitter.

Twitter: @BigBensBike

To make a donation to Prostate Cancer Research and read a bit about why I chose that charity see my page at:

No comments:

Post a Comment