Friday 18 September 2015

Day Ten - Jog jobbed

Day Ten - Tain to John O'Groats - 86 miles +4159 ft / -4380 ft 
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2290862

As some of you know I had pre-written some of the content of this blog to save time during the trip.  The bit I was not cocky enough to pre-write is this.  WE DID IT.  960 miles of riding pleasure.

Anyway enough of that, I have had literally one complaint that yesterday my blog was short on breakfast detail.  Today I had a fry up with two fried eggs but sadly no haggis, but don't worry a lunchtime haggis roll saved me from a haggis free day).  Following on from this we set off at 8:00 for our final destination.  It was not an easy ride as the route was fraught with temptation, chiefly the Glenmorangie distillery being right next to our hotel.  Leaving Tain we saw the first sign for JoG of the day:


This was something of a novelty as elsewhere in the UK signwriters have liked to keep us guessing by having no signs for our destination until we were more or less in sight of it anyway.  The going was good this morning and we made good time before our first coffee stop.  The staff at the cafe were generally supportive but mainly delighted in telling us they had seen 60 year olds complete the trip......

The coffee stop was followed by two very big hills.  Very steep very big hills, the second of which took in no fewer than two graveyards probably full of people who had tried to cycle up them in the past.  Once those were out of the way it was mostly plain sailing to the end and largely down hill.  Frankly it could have ended up an even bigger hill there was no way we were not going to make it at this point.


At this stage I should mention team Cambodia which is the part of the group who live in Cambourne plus Brendan who is an honorary Cambodian.  We have started and finished every day of this trip as a team and in true Tour De France style we have all ridden to support our team leader, Clare.  Clare was the only girl on the trip and probably not as strong a cyclist as some of the chaps but stuck with it and really pushed herself every day.  The team all agree she was the stand out rider of the tour.


The final 2 miles of the trip are all downhill which we rode in team formation.  Earlier in the week Brendan and I had practised our 'no hands bridge arms' finish line pose but thought it would be risky down a steep hill on what was by now quite a windy day so kept it sensible.  Arriving at JoG the first thing that struck me was that it was an utter sh*thole.  The second thing was how amazingly similar it was to Lands End, almost as if they were both designed by the same committee who both had the same 'that will do' attitude.  


As I crossed the finish I was greeted by several members of my family there to cheer us on and join us for dinner at the hotel.  The highlight was the youngest member Torbijorn who was waving a Scottish flag and later let me play with his toy trains.

I have really enjoyed the last ten days of the expedition, not so much that I will be doing it again any time soon, but enjoyed it none the less.  I also think the red kit looks a bit more flattering than it did back at the start........


Finally thank you to all who have donated to Prostate Cancer Research, even those doubters who waited until I had finished before ponying up the cash!  The cause means a lot to me and I truly appreciate your support.



For regular updates follow me on Twitter.

Twitter: @BigBensBike

To make a donation to Prostate Cancer Research and read a bit about why I chose that charity see my page at:

No comments:

Post a Comment